Posture Diagram

Posture Diagram

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Recovery Timeline and the Future

The time has come to make a short description of my recovery timeline as a whole. What to focus on in the beginning and so on. I think one can divide the recovery timeline into three parts from a moderate case perspective:

1.      Posture correction for a few months (it will lift the sternum quite rapidly according to my experience). I recommend to read “Short quick Start Guide”.

2.      Continue with the above (point 1) and do some exercises until the lowest part of the sternum is loosening up and a new way to breathe occurs (this may take several months or around a year).

3.      The beginning of the end of the recovery which includes a continuation of natural ergonomics, my latest sleeping strategy and sporadic exercises if necessary.

After all, the ultimate goal is to come to an end with the struggle against pectus excavatum. I have been thinking a lot lately, when I should not care about it anymore. I have started to be willing to accept a mild case. I must admit that my motivation have decreased dramatically mainly because of two reasons:

1.      I am sure about what causes PE and hope that it over time will lead to clinical studies based on my hard work so that people becomes aware about its causes and future development of PE among humanity will come to a minimum and of course a zero-vision is the ultimate thought.

2.      I have been fighting against difficulties with the breathing process as long as I can remember and when it finally come to an end it such a relief so a small dent don’t bother me in the same way it did before. The physical aspects with PE is what have bothered me most and a struggle against myths related to the condition. And not to mention the complete unwillingness to care about it from a Swedish-health-care-system-perspective. My struggle and my blog is the ultimate revenge and a proof that an impossible mission can be completed (from some aspects). That is how I view it.

Will I give up?

No. I will never give up. But the time has come to withdraw the declaration of war against PE. For me MY battle is over. If my PE will continue to improve, be so. But I am not willing to fight it the same way I did in the past.

Will I continue with my blog?

Yes. I have a lot more to tell especially about my experience in going to the gym. But also a lot of other things. After all, I will continue to develop new strategies and the site is under constant development.

6 comments:

  1. Chin ups and front levers seem to help exercise wise. What do you think ? And i found svend presses are pretty helpful for inner chest mass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for all this information. I am going to try everything you suggest to improve my condition which is moderate. I do yoga and weights, and most people don't even see my pectus as a deformity; they think it's from working out. I am going to incorporate your ideas and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous November 1 2014: I think they are all good. But I recommend to be very careful when trying out Font Lever. It must be classified as a high-risk-exercise. Especially; I recommend to be very careful when leaving the bar or the rings and not smash down the feet on the ground. This can hurt the back very seriously. When it comes to chin-ups I personally have found “Narrow Parallel Grip Chin Ups” to the best variation. I put a link here if someone wants to check it out: http://www.workoutroutinewarehouse.com/narrow-parallel-grip-chin-ups.html
    “Svend Presses” I have found to very good as well especially good against the kyphosis related to PE. It lifts the sternum out because the spine straightens upwards.
    You seems to do great exercises against PE I think. Thank you for your contribution.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog has some great information and theories. I have pectus carinatum and recently had the ravitch surgery to correct it. The surgeon cut the cartilage on both sides of the sternum, but did NOT break the ribs...he only put dis solvable sutures around them to push them down, hoping that everything would heal correctly. After the surgery the result looked perfect, but after a few weeks the sutures started to dissolve and the ribs started popping up. So my chest is still pretty good but I have protrusions from the ribs, which I fear are trying to push the sternum up. This has led me to start using a brace as a precaution against recurrence.

    After coming across your blog, I am also ordering zero-drop shoes. Are these okay? (http://www.lemsshoes.com/Mens-Mariner-Sand_p_89.html).

    Furthermore, I agree with many of your theories. My feet are bigger than average, I do not stand up straight when I walk around, I have slight kyphosis, the shoes with heels DO make me stand in an unnatural position like one of the pictures you had. I firmly believe Pectus problems are caused by the spine, which affects the ribs, which then pushes the sternum out or in. We have to attack the root of the issue by fixing the spine or else nothing will stop the deformity, not even surgery.

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One more thing - with regards to bodybuilding, I think it is good when wearing a brace. For pectus carinatum, if we push down on the protrusion while doing an exercise such as a push up, we are creating pressure in the chest area that is helping solidify the changes we want. For excavatum you would have to brace the flared ribs while doing push ups or other exercises.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omar: Yes, I think these pair of shoes is good and the reason is that they seems to have a very high flexibility which makes it possible for the toes to lift up. The lift of the toes is a natural movement which I also believe helps to create the arch under the foot. Sounds great to hear that you agree with me about my theories. These type of comments are very good for helping others.

    ReplyDelete